Thursday, May 22, 2008

American Idol

Kelsey pulled a stool over to the TV so she could see better. Remember the Indiana Jones movie when Indiana has the little oriental kid and they see the Aztec-like people hypnotized by their idol worshipping leader- who cuts people's hearts out and throws them in a pit of fire...ok, I haven't watched that movie in over 15 years, so the details are a little fuzzy. But, you have to admit there is some parallel symbolism involving idol worship here. My kids are hypnotized by cartoons and brainwashed by commercials. Everytime a commercial comes on telling them to buy something they run to tell me I "have to buy" the product. But, I admit I love to watch "Gilmore Girls" and "Eli Stone". And everytime I see a great car commercial I want to buy it, too. So I guess I am guilty of having TV as my idol.

No comments: