Saturday, June 30, 2012

First year... Girls Camp!

Here is my experience at Girls Camp:

Some of my friends on the last day


My first day at Girls Camp, you know, first time seriously ever camping in something other than a camper, my first impression was stepping on a dead bird and finding a caterpiller up my pants crawling on my leg. (Don't ask. My friends can tell you that "hilarious" story.) Anyway, it was my first time actually hard-core camping and sleeping in a tent. Both parts weren't exactly my thing... The camping included bugs EVERYWHERE. Leeches from the lake, millions of ticks, bajillions of mosquitos, and 5 bear sightings around camp. As for the tent I couldn't sleep all night which kind of sucked. But on the bright side, I survived. And, on the other bright side it was very spiritual and just like BYU... The food was delicious!


Our 3-man tent that had 4 people in it... It was pretty tight

My favorite parts of Girls Camp:


1. The ukelele classes! Apparently there is a stake Young Womens musical director who is in charge of all things music regarding the YW. I never knew that, but was happy to find out because she was so cool and such an awesome teacher. It was so freaking cool to go to the classes, and now I can proudly say that I can play the ukelele very well. Because I play guitar, nothing about it was even hard. The lessons didn't even teach me much because I pretty much knew everything from guitar. The reason I went was because ukelele's are so pretty and it was so relaxing and peaceful to be there and play so many of our really pretty girls camp songs.  I love being able to play the ukelele... it was awesome!



2. I loved on one of the nights (I think it was Wednesday) a devotional a girl named Brynne Wyss gave. It was litterally the BEST talk I've ever heard in my entire life, and a bunch of other girls in my camp said the exact same thing. Have you ever heard those talks where they say something like "be like Christ" or "be faithful" or something that is so broad you can't even figure out how to apply it to your life? This talk was exactly the opposite... she was such an amazing spiritual teacher and her talk told us how to be better, how to change, and why we are important. She didn't just say "you are special children." She said, "God made you, and he doesn't make mistakes."

Me when I got home... I was so hot and sweaty and tired!

3. Testimony meeting was another one of my favorite parts. For that the bishop, his counselors, their wives, and all our YW leaders that weren't able to come the whole week came. It was also the second most spiritual thing of the entire time. I, along with everyone else that came, bore our testimonies and it was a really cool experience. If you have gone, you know what it's like. If you haven't I don't really know how to describe it other than it was really super awesome.

Me and my friend Brittany on the last day, eating breakfast.


Before camp, we all braided our hair in a million little braids to avoid greasiness. This is my puffball of a head on the car ride home.


So, yeah. That was Girls Camp!

No comments: